1 large white onion diced, about 2 cups.
2 tbsp. Olive Oil, bacon fat or butter.
2 lbs dried Split Peas
1 Monte’s HamTM bone
Kosher Salt and Freshly Ground Pepper
1 cup Monte’s Ham, cooked, in ¼ inch dice, cooked. (Optional)
Sour Cream (Optional)
1. In a large stock pot or dutch oven, heat the olive oil, bacon fat or butter over medium heat.
2. Add the onion and cook it stirring until it is softened but not browned.
3. Add the split peas and the Monte’s HamTM bone. Cover with water until the bone and the peas are submerged.
4. Cook for two hours over medium low heat, stirring occasionally.
5. Continue to cook until the ham is falling off the bone, about another half hour. Season to taste with kosher salt and freshly ground pepper. Remove the ham bone. (The meat around it is exceptional and the cook should enjoy it.)
6. At this point, you can puree it in batches in the blender if you want a smoother, more refined soup. Or leave it as is, topping either version with a dollop of sour cream and the crispy diced pancetta. Serves 8 as a main course.